Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Gopher Football Uniform Concept

Here’s a quick concept I threw together for my beloved Gophers football program. It seems that the University of Minnesota is always a few years behind in the “uniform upgrade” game, so it was a pleasant surprise to see them unveil new uniforms for the 2012 football season. The Gophers had a much tougher and more unique look to them this year and I like that. For years, Minnesota teams have gone with the stupid sparkle helmets and their uniforms usually mirrored other Nike designs, such as the University of Washington's. It’s time create a new identity and Jerry Kill knows that.

My idea to “be different” is to go outside the comfort zone a bit. Rather than do an all-black design, which I lobbied for last year and LOVED what Colorado did by making it a surprise vs USC, the Gophers should go with more of a unique approach…ALL GREY. 

 

 
Other teams have dabbled with the grey concept (see Washington State and Eastern Michigan for example) but it hasn’t blown up yet. I would prefer it to be the matte finish, but the quick image tools I used for this concept gives more a shine to the uniforms (I used EA Sports’ team builder website for this one). If they took their current uniform design and turned the primary colors grey, I think it’d be a badass look.

The Gophers went all white vs Wisconsin in the past...but really haven’t done much else outside of throwback looks. This would be “different”, yet still a clean style. I wouldn’t want these uniforms to be their regulars…just a little change of pace vs a big ten rival.

Thoughts?


Follow us on Twitter -
@UniForums



No comments:

Post a Comment