Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Minnesota Vikings - New Uniform Nuggets

By now, you are most likely aware that the Minnesota Vikings are one of the teams to officially announce they are changing uniform designs for the upcoming season. Graphic design artists have been hard at work mocking up designs for fans to look at and judge. I, however, don't feel like doing that...

What I will do, is throw out some ideas/thoughts that I'd like to see when they officially unveil the uniforms on April 25th.

- There is no way the Vikings go away from the color scheme of purple/gold/white. I expect they'll go back to the retro purple and I hope they go back to the retro gold. Will they add black or grey as a secondary color? Perhaps. Grey has busted on to the scene in a massive way with college uniforms, so if they do this...they must do it right. Black? No thank you.


- Helmet Finish: I'd like to see them go with a unique finish that Nike has yet to use with other uniforms. There have been a lot of chrome finish helmets being unveiled recently, and we all know about the matte finish helmets that dominated uniform changes in 2012-13...so what else can be done? How about a dull looking finish? Not matte, not chrome...but in between (and not sparkly). Think of it as drip pans for your stove, or tin foil but not quite so shiny. Keep it purple, keep the horns...I think it'd be sharp.

- Face mask color. This can make a WORLD of difference in my opinion. Think of how different the Vikings current throw backs look if they took the grey off and put on purple...it'd look stupid. I say KEEP the grey face masks, even if grey isn’t a secondary color.

- Speaking of secondary colors...grey should get consideration. Chad Greenway has already stated that the new uniforms make the purple "pop", but pay respects to the old school uniforms. If they choose to go with grey pants, I'd be fine with that. If they choose not to...I won't be shocked if the old grey face masks find their way back to the uniform design.

- Stripes: No...we don't want them unless they are simple and clean.

- Numbers: Unless Nike gives the Vikings a badass, trademarked font like they did with the Gopher Football uniforms, I say make them bold/traditional...clean. No fancy ones that look like a minor league baseball team is using the same font.

- Alternates: I hope, I mean REALLY hope, they unveil a third/alternate uniform like Seattle did. It'd be dumb not to...fans love that. My personal vote would be all black...but that would almost require black as a secondary color, and I don't want that. If they go with grey...they'll be copying the Seahawks. Yellow has always been mentioned...but it just doesn’t flow....on anyone.

From here, there isn't much else to share. I'm probably more excited about the uniforms than I am the draft, but the Vikings are my team...and uniform changes make people giddy. Lets hope the Vikings don't disappoint.

You can follow us on Twitter - @UniForums


No comments:

Post a Comment